Friday, October 29, 2010

Material Modelling | Week 2


Week 2's exercise was to interpret an article that was given in class from Week 1 and gel it together with an architect's work to create a model that would relate to both subjects. The article I read was the "The Visible and  the Invisible" by Maurice Merleau-Ponty. The architect's work I chose was the Jewish Museum by Daniel Libeskind. I felt that article kind of related to Libeskind's work in that sense like how he created spaces and feelings that were actually invisible physically but visible to other senses. I decided to focus on this one space of the Jewish Museum which I found rather intriguing; the "Holocaust Void". The void had a single window at the top like the light at the end of the tunnel, while the rest of the space gave a feeling of emptiness and sorrow, making one yearn more for the freedom beyond that tiny window of light. 

For this model I decided to re-create my version of the void in relation to the article I read. Though it isn't very obvious in this picture from a single angle, I actually used many pieces of white cardboard sticks which I cut to encase a void in the middle of the mass. I did not want to create an obvious void, rather my intention was to let one feel the void's presence within the mass. 

Overall I think I wasn't very successful in this exercise because the model is rather perforated, making the void in the middle rather difficult to spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment